[AUDITORY] Postdoctoral Fellowship opportunity at Smith-Kettlewell, San Francisco

Our laboratory seeks a postdoctoral fellow funded by an NEI institutional training grant to The Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute, or an internal funding mechanism. The work in our lab focuses on vestibular function and sensory re-weighting in individuals with central field loss due to macular degeneration. These individuals have loss of stability and a higher likelihood of falls. Our research aims to investigate visual and vestibular contributions to these impairments, at the the reflex level and in more complex behaviors, such as locomotion.

Smith-Kettlewell is a uniquely attractive place to receive postdoctoral training in vision research and related fields. Our program offers the flexibility to design an individualized training plan tailored to achieve each fellow’s specific career goals. We train fellows to become independent scientists, with strong support and encouragement for fellows to propose and pursue their own research in close collaboration and mentorship with one or more of our experienced principal investigators. Many of our fellows have successfully established their own funded research programs with fruitful and fulfilling careers.

The fellowships require a Ph.D. or M.D. and are normally awarded for two years, with our most successful fellows often being invited to continue as sponsored investigators. Applications from individuals with disabilities or other underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged. The NEI Training Grant requires that fellows be US citizens or permanent residents. The Smith-Kettlewell fellowship is open to US Citizens and foreign nationals.

Applications will be accepted until January 15, 2020. Details of the program and application procedures can be found at http://www.ski.org/how-apply. To apply, please contact one of the mentors to begin the application process. If you have further questions, please email Dr. Preeti Verghese or Beatriz St. John at fellowships@xxxxxxx.

Natela Shanidze, Ph.D., Associate Scientist
The Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute
2318 Fillmore Street
San Francisco, CA 94115
(415) 345-2144
natela@xxxxxxx