[AUDITORY] Lecture at BRAMS this Wednesday - electroacoustic aural training

Hi all,
This Wednesday at BRAMS, I will be presenting my work with electroacoustic aural training at Concordia University.
All are invited.

A short description:

Sound-focused aural training with Inner Ear

Abstract: Inner Ear is a SSHRC-funded multi-university research-creation project for developing an accessible, adaptive ear training tool geared toward musicians and audio engineers working in the various sound fields. The design of this software builds on a decade-long, ongoing, action research study with music students who major in electroacoustic studies. The objective of the research has been to understand the student’s aural skill acquisition process and subsequently develop comprehensive tools to facilitate rapid refinement of skills which are crucial to all sound-focused art. This tool provides users with quick, interactive feedback and engages their critical thinking regarding the skill acquisition process. Students who practiced their sonic hearing with Inner Ear at Concordia University report radical changes to their everyday hearing experience and a growing “fascination with small sounds occurring in all situations.” Students often also report some annoyance with their heightened aural awareness and their lost ability to ignore unpleasant sound in their environment (however, all note that the positive transformation outweighs the negative effects). In this lecture I will engage the audience with Inner Ear’s training modules; describe the functional and research contexts that lead to its creation; and cover the basic principles behind its design, transformational strength, and relevance to sound practices and our daily hearing.

More Information here:

Cheers
Eldad