Re: [AUDITORY] Effect of sidetone in lowering one's own voice

I can't recall any studies on this, but I've measured a significant difference in occlusion between men and women.  My hypothesis is that  body composition, i.e. bone density, body fat , contributes to this difference.  The reason I bring it up is that  I've used this data to design sidetone filters in headsets.  I've noticed that using one design for everyone  is an extremely polarizing experience.   It actually makes a bad experience for half the people and the other half might not even notice a difference.  Obviously, this might not be gender specific but body composition specific, but in general can be seen by comparing genders. I just thought I'd throw this out as a nugget to think about if you start experimenting.  Creating 2 sidetone filters was never implemented in a headset, but in prototyping was found to have more satisfied users.

Angela Roderick