[AUDITORY] Postdoctoral Research Associate position – Auditory Processing – Audiology & Speech Pathology Center, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD

Dear Auditory List,

Ken Grant is seeking a post-doc to work on electrophysiological assessment of hearing loss.

To learn more about this position, please contact Dr. Grant at kenneth.w.grant.civ@xxxxxxxx

Alternatively, Doug Brungart and I work closely with Dr. Grant, and we will be at the Acoustical Society meeting in Louisville this coming week. Please come find us at the meeting to learn more (douglas.s.brungart.civ@xxxxxxxx; joshua.g.bernstein.civ@xxxxxxxx)

-Josh Bernstein

We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate to join our speech communication research team at Walter Reed, with a focus on the objective assessment of auditory processing in listeners with hearing loss.

The goal of this postdoctoral research position is to carry out research aimed at developing and validating tests of auditory processing using a combination of electrophysiological and behavioral measures of auditory function.

·         Working with stimulus presentation and EEG analyses tools to monitor recorded EEG responses to speech and non-speech inputs.

·         Developing tools to extract, analyze, and display the EEG data. These tools are being designed to work transparently with EEG signals acquired from both clinical (Intelligent Hearing Systems) and experimental (BioSemi) EEG systems.

·         Analyzing EEG recordings to create publishable figures to display results for manuscripts and presentations at national and international conferences.

·         Efficiently assessing the functional consequences of the spectrum of hearing impairment.

We are seeking a postdoctoral research fellow with a passion for hearing research, speech perception, hearing conservation, and psychoacoustics, who is excited by the prospect of leveraging these capabilities to solve some of the basic unresolved questions in hearing loss research, with the ultimate goal of reducing service related hearing loss in the military.

Education Required:

Ph.D. in Hearing Science, Audiology, Computer Science, Physics, Bioengineering, Electrical Engineering, Neuroscience or related field is strongly preferred, although individuals with a Masters’ degree, strong technical skills and a demonstrated track record of research ability will also be considered.

Time frame:

Funding is guaranteed for three years, with a high likelihood of recurring funding in future years. Salary is commensurate with experience, but is very competitive relative to a typical post-doc salary. Walter Reed National Military Medical Center is the flagship of the U.S. military health care system.

Qualifications:

The most important qualities we are seeking in an individual are:

·         Technical skills including programming, signal processing, and experience with EEG measurement systems, to independently develop, implement, troubleshoot, carry out and analyze auditory processing experiments.

·         Demonstrated track record in designing, carrying out and publishing hearing science research.

·         Experience using psychophysical techniques with human subjects to test basic-science hypotheses regarding hearing loss, and creativity in analyzing data sets to answer these questions.

To apply:

Please send us your CV, and provide a brief (0.5 to 1 page) letter describing your hearing-research experience and auditory processing questions you are interested in pursuing.

For further information, or to discuss this position, please contact Dr. Ken W. Grant at (301) 319-7043, email: kenneth.w.grant.civ@xxxxxxxx