Re: [AUDITORY] Research in Auditory Processing

Dear all,

Sorry for being a bit late in this discussion. But, I wanted to share my thoughts:

In studies such as (Cabrera & Tilley, 2003; Pratt, 1930; Roffler & Butler, 1968a, 1968b), subjects were asked to indicate their opinions by choosing from a single scale presented in front of them. This setup could predispose them into associating any changes in the stimuli with changes in the provided vertical scale.

I found in [1,2] that listeners associate Risset tones more often to sources moving in the horizontal plane than the vertical one. Upward glissandi is more often associated with approaching sources and downward glissandi to receding. It seems that at least for Risset tones, Doppler Illusion is stronger than the Pratt effect.

These are the references:

Cabrera, D., & Tilley, S. (2003). Vertical localization and image size effects in loudspeaker reproduc- tion. In Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Audio Engineering Society. Audio Engineering Society

Pratt, C. C. (1930). The spatial character of high and low tones. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 13, 278–285.

Roffler, S. K., & Butler, R. A. (1968a). Factors that influence the localization of sound in the vertical plane. Journal of Acoustical Society of America, 43, 1255–1259.

Roffler, S. K., & Butler, R. A. (1968b). Localization of tonal stimuli in the vertical plane. Journal of
Acoustical Society of America, 43, 1260–1266.

[1] J. Villegas, “Association of frequency changes with perceived horizontal and vertical movement,” Acoust. Sci. & Tech., Oct. 2018. (submitted).

[2] J. Villegas and N. Fukasawa, “Doppler illusion prevails over Pratt effect in Risset tones,” Perception, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 1179–1195, 2018. DOI: 10.1177/0301006618807338.

Cheers,

Julian.