[AUDITORY] CfP: IEEE VR 2019 Workshop on the Future of Audio in VR (FAVR)

Dear AUDITORY List,

Building on the successful NIME 2018 Workshop on Audio-first VR, we are happy to announce our IEEE VR 2019 Workshop on the Future of Audio in VR (FAVR) to be held at the Osaka International Convention Center on March 24th, 2019. Please find more information about the workshop and the submission timeline below.

Future of Audio in VR (FAVR)
IEEE VR 2019 Workshop, Call for Papers
March 24th, 2019, Osaka International Convention Center, Osaka, Japan

The latest wave of commodity virtual reality equipment has allowed unprecedented access to virtual experiences for consumers and researchers alike. Leading technology companies today are becoming increasingly invested in VR audio with new products, such as Facebook’s Spatial Workstation and Google’s Resonance Audio, that facilitate the use of advanced spatial audio techniques with popular game engines and digital audio workstations. However, most modern VR platforms impart an ancillary role to audio, where sounds serve to amplify visual immersion. As a result, audio remains an afterthought for many content developers and VR researchers despite its inherent role in immersion. It is therefore necessary to elaborate ways in which we can think natively about VR audio and articulate the role of sound in the ultimate displays of the future. In this workshop, we aim to not only highlight recent developments in VR audio, but also identify the needs of the VR community in creating compelling virtual auditory experiences for the next generation of immersive media. Accordingly, we seek submissions that address such topics as:
  • Best practices in VR audio
  • Creativity support tools for spatial audio
  • Analyses of new and existing authoring software for VR audio
  • Audio-first and audio-only VRs
  • Virtual Interfaces for Musical _expression_
  • Sonic Interaction Design for Virtual Environments (SIVE)
  • Acoustic modelling systems and techniques for VR
  • Auditory perception in virtual environments
  • VR audio and accessibility
The workshop will feature paper presentations followed by demo sessions and a round table discussion. In addition to reports of completed research projects, the submissions can include position papers and late-breaking results. The length of the submissions can range from 2 to 5 pages based on the contribution. Paper presentations can be accompanied by demonstrations at the workshop. Proceedings of the workshop will be published in the IEEE Xplore Digital Library. Submissions should be prepared in IEEE Computer Society VGTC format (http://junctionpublishing.org/vgtc/Tasks/camera.html) and submitted as a PDF file via EasyChair at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=favr2019 by the submission deadline indicated below.

The workshop website is located at http://favr2019.github.ioInquiries about the workshop can be directed at the workshop organizers via the email addresses indicated belowFor more information about IEEE VR 2019, please visit http://ieeevr.org/2019/.

Submission Timeline
Submissions due: January 18th, 2019
Notification of acceptance: February 8th, 2019
Camera-ready submission due: February 19th, 2019

Workshop Organizers
Anıl Çamcı <acamci@xxxxxxxxx>, University of Michigan
Rob Hamilton <hamilr4@xxxxxxx>, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Kind regards,

Anıl Çamcı, PhD
Assistant Professor of Performing Arts Technology
School of Music, Theatre & Dance
University of Michigan