Re: [AUDITORY] Noise cancellation earbuds

We evaluated the attenuation provided by Etymotic HF5 noise-isolating earphone (cost < $150) in a sound-attenuating chamber using three different ear tips provided by the manufacturer.  We measured speech recognition thresholds (SRTs) using spondee words in the sound field with both ears of the subject plugged by the ear tips. Four participants were evaluated.  The eartips evaluated were the Etymotic Research ER38-15SM 3-Flange Ear tips (size small), ER38-18 Large 3-Flange Ear tips, and the ER38-14F Standard Black Foam Ear tips.   The foam ear tips provided the most attenuation, which is approximately 20 dB.

Hope this is helpful.

Sandy

Sandra Gordon-Salant, Ph.D.
Professor and Director,
Doctoral Program in Clinical Audiology
Department of Hearing and Speech Sciences
University of Maryland
0100 Lefrak Hall
7251 Preinkert Drive
College Park, MD 20742