[AUDITORY] Shortest duration to perceive timbre or tonal quality? Suggest reference

Dear colleagues,

I am hoping if you can point us to some studies on whether there is a minimum duration of sound for its timbre or tonal quality to be clearly perceived.

I found this quote from http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/etext/acoustics/chapter1_timbre.shtml that “Some studies have indicated it takes at least 60ms to recognise the timbre of a sound” However, I am not about to locate the exact study.

Many thanks

Jiajun Yang
Postdoc research, Ambient Intelligence Group,
Citec, Bielefeld University, Germany