[AUDITORY] Auditory Model Framework (and request for Klemm 1920 paper)

Dear List,

At ARO 2016 about 50 auditory model developers and model users met for a discussion on how to improve applicability and comparability of auditory models. A team of 8 modelers from 7 labs moved on to develop an interface connecting models with experiments and a software frameworks for this purpose – in Matlab/Octave and in Python. In brief it operates through a file I/O. Experiment sends *.wav file to model and the model sends a response file to the experiment which has the same format as you would obtain from a real experiment (e.g. a spike train or the selection of a target interval). The framework is compatible with existing toolboxes such as AFC or the Auditory Model Toolbox.

Throughout the process we had a certain focus on binaural hearing but the final product should be equally useful for other models and experiments.

We now have a first version online and hope someone finds it useful:

https://github.com/model-initiative

It is ideal if you want to compare several models on the same experiment or if you have models and experiments in different programming languages. Its particularly useful for modeling AFC type experiments.

More information can be found in the readme.pdf on github and in the Hearing Research paper we just published on the subject. Again there is a binaural focus especially Sec. 2 (review on binaural models) but the framework described in Sec. 6 is fairly universal:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378595517302605

if you do not have access, you find a pre-print here:

http://neural-reckoning.org/pub_framework_comparing_binaural_models.html

If you want to give the framework a try I recommend the quick_example.txt instruction.

We welcome feedback, beta testers, and anyone who wants to use or improve the framework.

On a different topic I am looking for a historic paper:

Klemm, O. (1920). Über den Einfluss des binauralen Zeitunterschiedes auf die Lokalisation. Arch. ges. Psychol., 1920, 40, 117-146

Best,

Mathias

Mathias Dietz

Canada Research Chair in Binaural Hearing

Associate Professor

National Centre for Audiology

School of Communication Sciences & Disorders

Faculty of Health Sciences

1201 Western Road, Elborn College Room 2262F
Western University
London, Ontario CANADA N6G 1H1
T 519-661-2111 Ext 88258
e-mail mdietz@xxxxxx