[AUDITORY] Invitation to participate in a Harvard survey about music research

Dear Auditory list,

You may have heard that my colleagues and I have been surveying scholars in fields across the academy about their ideas on the study of music across cultures. We have reached out directly to many academics in the last couple of weeks, and are looking to reach more people, especially in fields of music perception, music theory, and ethnomusicology.

As such, I'm forwarding the invitation to participate in our research directly to the Auditory list so that anyone can elect to participate. The survey has some fixed response questions but also plenty of opportunities to express your views in prose. And as an added bonus, you can win $25 by participating. A description of the research is copied below.

To participate, follow this link: https://harvard.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_89cPtiqE8I5EmYB.

Thanks! If you have any technical issues with the survey, please contact our staff at epl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

all best,
Sam

--
Samuel Mehr
Department of Psychology

The purpose of this research is to better understand scholars' views on music research, universals, evolution, and a variety of music-related topics in the sciences and humanities. To this end, we are surveying academics from many different fields to ask a series of questions in order to determine how common or uncommon a variety of views about music research are, and also to determine whether agreement or disagreement with these views varies across different academic fields. After your participation, you will have the opportunity to ask for a summary of the results of this research, when they are available.

The questionnaire will take approximately 10 minutes to complete. You will have the opportunity to receive 1 of 50 Amazon gift cards ($25 value) for your participation, regardless of the choices you make during the study.

Responses to this survey are confidential, so your answers will never be individually revealed or tied to your name. If you elect to participate in the random drawing for 1 of 50 gift cards, we will collect your email address for payment purposes. This email address will be detached from the database of survey responses prior to analysis. Data will be stored electronically on a secure, password-protected server behind locked doors. Only approved members of the research team will be able to access it. Your participation is completely voluntary, and you may refuse to participate or withdraw at any time without penalty or loss of benefits to which you may otherwise be entitled.

Thank you for your participation!

To contact the researcher:
If you have questions or concerns about this experiment or the results, please contact us via email (epl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) or phone (617-495-3503).