Re: [AUDITORY] Neutral sound for a relaxation experiment

Having recorded ocean waves since the mid-1970s, I would suggest a good recording of ocean waves rather than an algorithmic version of AM white noise, as I have found that real [acoustical] ocean waves are among the most complex ‘simple sounds’ in nature. There are usually multiple asynchronous cycles, and there is, IME, never one simple wave. Each wave is a continuously evolving noise complex with lots of variables. These include spectral changes resembling band reject filters, phase shifters and transient resonances.

The wave breaking on the beach adds two more basic elements, one the wave collapsing onto the beach itself, and the other the ‘sucking back’ that occurs as the water recedes and stones and particles tumble back into the ocean. This is added to by the number of waves which can be heard from any one place.

For some people I have met, the sound of moving water installs fear. I would suggest the sound of a gentle wind in tall pine trees.

Kevin