[AUDITORY] PhD opportunity

https://jobs.soton.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?id=15863&forced=1

PhD Studentship: Developing evidence-based hearing standards for the Police Service. Project description below. Feel free to circulate onwards.

The student would be based at the Institute of Sound & Vibration Research, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK under the supervision of me and Dr Hannah Semeraro. It builds on our previous work with the military (http://www.southampton.ac.uk/engineering/research/projects/fit_for_duty.page).

Enquiries welcome and to me. Best wishes, Daniel

Police officers are required to carry out complex listening tasks as part of their job every day, such as listening to important commands whilst driving with a siren sounding. It is therefore important that employees possess sufficient hearing ability in order to carry out their job safely and effectively. This is particularly relevant in a setting where an employee’s ability to understand speech is critical for their ability to carry out their duties. There is currently a gap in our ability to assess hearing in a way that can be used to accurately select and monitor police officers in terms of their functional hearing ability. This is important in order to predict whether police officers can carry out their job safely and effectively as well as identifying any early signs of hearing loss developing and avoiding unfair discrimination against those who may have raised hearing thresholds but have sufficient functional hearing to continue their duties.

Since 2012 the University of Southampton Hear for Duty team have been working with the Ministry of Defence to explore new methods for assessing auditory fitness for duty for military personnel. An iPad based speech-in-noise test is currently being validated as a tool to assess the hearing capabilities of military personnel. Building on this work, we wish to develop a similar approach for assessing duty-specific hearing in police officers, such as firearms officers, working in collaboration with the Metropolitan Police Service.

This PhD project will involve: (1) identifying the hearing critical tasks carried out by police officers within the Police Service, and (2) the design, development and validation of a functional test that assesses whether police officers possess sufficient hearing capabilities in order to carry out hearing critical tasks to the required standard.

-----------
Dr Daniel Rowan
Director of Programmes (Audiology)
Co-Director of our Centre for China-UK Audiology Education (CUAE)

Hearing & Balance Centre (HABC)
Institute of Sound & Vibration Research
University of Southampton, UK, SO17 1BJ

Office: +44 (0)23 8059 2928  (ext 22928)
Email: d.rowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:d.rowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

HABC: www.southampton.ac.uk/audiology<http://www.southampton.ac.uk/audiology>

CUAE: www.southampton.ac.uk/audiology/cuae<http://www.southampton.ac.uk/audiology/cuae>