Re: [AUDITORY] Maximum temporal window for pattern recognition and the perception of redundancy

Dear Dario & List—

A belated addendum to Guy Madison & Leon Van Noorden’s posts.  Re your first question, the study of the limit for coherence of successive melodic tones goes back a long way, to Stevens (1886) and Woodrow (1932).  Related to perceptual studies are many studies of sensorimotor synchronization (i.e., tapping), which have tended to confirm Leon’s 2-second limit for coherence (i.e., when synchronization cues, such as a metronome, are slower that 2 seconds, one no longer anticipates the cue, and the responses are a series of reaction-times to each cue).  But see Repp & Doggett (2007) for some countervailing evidence to the two-second limit.

Your second question, as others have mentioned, engages long-standing issues in discussions of musical form (especially the “sonata form” of classical music compositions in the 18th and 19th centuries).  There is great/ongoing debate as to how sensitive listeners are to various aspects of recurrence (i.e., changes in tonality, re-ordering of elements within a section), and the extent to which local vs. global cues are used by listeners in their apprehension of musical form.  Nick Cook did some work on this, as did Lalitte and Bignand (2006).  In a very different kind of musical context, music based on large scale processes (i.e., “loops” as Peter Lennox has mention) may be a good thing to look at—and Gamelan music might provide a useful repertory of examples (and possible stimuli-!).

Best,
Justin London

Repp, B. H. and R. Doggett (2007). "Tapping to a very slow beat: A comparison of musicians and nonmusicians." Music Perception 24(4): 367-376.

Stevens, L. T. (1886). "On the Time Sense." Mind 11(43): 393-404.

Woodrow, H. (1932). "The Effect of Rate of Sequence Upon the Accuracy of Syncrhonization." Journal of Experimental Psychology 15(4): 357-379.

Lalitte, P. and E. Bigand (2006). "Music in the moment? Revisiting the effect of large scale structures." Perceptual and Motor Skills 103(3): 811-828.