Re: [AUDITORY] Maximum temporal window for pattern recognition and the perception of redundancy

Dear Dario, Bob and Auditory List,

The person who has done the most work on the perception of repeated noise and what it says about temporal integration is Christian Kaernbach.

Just put 'Christian Kaernbach and repeated noise' into a good scholarly search engine and you will get a list of his publications on the topic, and they include references to the other people who have worked on the phenomenon. A good place to start is a paper that appeared in JASA Vol. 94.1 (details below).

Bobs informal listening provides a good summary of what you will discover with a little listening. The auditory system finds sequences of random numbers which it hears as auditory features and having heard one it listens for it to occur again and emphasizes that the feature in the perception we hear. It takes about 4 cycles of a random noise to get the process going and it you listen long enough you can do it with noises 2 seconds and more in duration.

Regards, Roy Patterson

Temporal and spectral basis of the features perceived in repeated noise
Christian Kaernbach
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1121/1.406946