[AUDITORY] Maximum temporal window for pattern recognition and the perception of redundancy

Dear Dario,

there is the old idea of a perceptual present – or ”specious present” in the words of William James (The principles of psychology, 1890). Slightly more recent is the related concept “the phonological loop” (Baddeley, 1992, Science, 255, 556-559). It remains unclear what, exactly, such temporary storages retain, and how they extend in time. This is clearly an understudied phenomenon.

Baddeley seemed early on to envision a veridical memory for sound, i.e. like a tape-recorder. But it would seem inefficient to have a fixed time-limit for such a memory, as it might “break off” just before the end of a verbal or musical phrase, and thus miss the essential meaning. But if it were flexible in duration, it could not only be a stupid tape-recorder, but must somehow process the information continuously to predict relevant time periods and adjust the duration accordingly. The question is then on what principles this fast, automatic feature-analysis operates, and how it reduces information. One could, for example, conceive an information-reducing mechanism that predicts how much information (i.e. non-reduction) and how long chunks of information to retain and possibly “pass on” to other processing (lexical, grammatical, harmonic, melodic, rhythmic, etc.)

Some useful introductory texts:

Bregman, A. S. (1993). Auditory scene analysis: hearing in complex environments. In S.McAdams & E. Bigand (Eds.), Thinking in sound. The cognitive psychology of human audition (pp. 10-36). Oxford, UK: Clarendon Press.

Dunlap, K. (1911). Rhythm and the specious present. Journal of Philosophical, Psychological and Scientific Method, 8, 348-354.

Fraisse, P. (1963). The psychology of time. New York: Harper.

Fraisse, P. (1978). Time and rhythm perception. In E.C.Carterette & M. P. Friedman (Eds.), Handbook of perception  (Vol. 8). (8 ed., pp. 203-254). New York: Academic press.

Fraisse, P. (1982). Rhythm and tempo. In D.Deutsch (Ed.), The psychology of music (pp. 149-180). London: Academic Press.

Fraisse, P. (1984). Perception and estimation of time. Annual Review of Psychology, 35, 1-36.

Madison, G. (2001). Functional modelling of the human timing mechanism. PhD Thesis. Uppsala: Uppsala University Library.

Michon, J. A. (1978). The making of the present. A tutorial review. In J.E.Requin (Ed.), Attention and performance (pp. 89-111). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.

Pöppel, E. (1978). Time Perception. In R.Held, H. W. Leibowitz, & H.-L. Teuber (Eds.), Handbook of Sensory Physiology, Vol 8 (pp. 713-729).

Pöppel, E. (1997). A hierarchical model of temporal perception. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 1, 56-61.

Wallin, J. E. W. (1911). Experimental studies of rhythm and time. I. Qualitative limens or grades of rhythm, and the difference limen in the perception of time. Psychological Review, 18, 100-131.

Wallin, J. E. W. (1911). Experimental studies of rhythm and time. II.The preferred length of interval (tempo). Psychological Review, 18, 202-222.

Woodrow, H. (1951). Time perception. In S.S.Stevens (Ed.), Handbook of experimental psychology (pp. 1224-1236). New York: Wiley.

And here are some empirical studies. I think that repeated noise is one very useful method to examine the nature of this “present” in more detail, as explored somewhat by Warren and colleagues.

Madison, G. & Delignières, D. (2009). Auditory feedback affects the long-range correlation of isochronous serial interval production. Support for a closed-loop or memory model of timing. Experimental Brain Research, 193, 519-527.

Mates, J., Radil, T., Müller, U., & Pöppel, E. (1994). Temporal integration in sensorimotor synchronization. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 6, 332-340.

Michon, J. A. (1964). Studies on subjective duration: I. Differential sensitivity in the perception of repeated temporal intervals. Acta Psychologica, 22, 441-450.

Brubaker, B. S. & Warren, R. M. (1987). Detection of infratonal repetition of frozen noise: Singularity recognition or pattern recognition? Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 82, S93.

Warren, R. M., Gardner, D. A., Brubaker, B. S., & Bashford, J. A. (1991). Melodic and nonmelodic sequences of tones: effects of duration on perception. Music Perception, 8, 277-290.

Warren, R. M. (1993). Perception of acoustic sequences: global integration versus temporal resolution. In S.McAdams & E. Bigand (Eds.), Thinking in sound. The cognitive psychology of human audition  (pp. 37-68). Oxford, UK: Clarendon Press.

/Guy