Research methods questions (speech perception)

Dear list,

My research concerns the role of prosodic cues in speech perception in noise by older listeners. I have two methodological questions that I hope I can get some input from this great research community.

1. For my next project, I would like to use recorded sentences that are longer (>5 keywords) and syntactically more complex than IEEE sentences. Balanced lists, recording blocked by talker, and large number of sentences (>150) are preferred. I appreciate if anyone can direct me to any resource/information that is available.

2. My experiment also involves the design of degrading speech intelligibility while keeping changes on speech acoustic characteristics minimum (particularly voicing cues). I am considering vocoding and time-reversed speech for this purpose but also wondering what are other options that may preserve spectral/temporal features better.

Many thanks in advance!

Best,

Jing

Jing Shen, PhD
NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow
Hearing Aid Laboratory
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
Northwestern University
2240 Campus Drive, Evanston, IL  60208