Cochlear implant post-doctoral research position in Cambridge

Dear all,

I’m pleased to announce the following research position in Cambridge, funded by a grant from Action on Hearing Loss and in collaboration with Julie Bierer. Informal enquiries can be addressed to me at bob.carlyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bob Carlyon

MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit – Cambridge

Investigator Scientist

Salary £27,355 - £29,863 per annum plus benefits

Ref BC/352

The MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit (CBSU) is an internationally renowned research institute of cognitive neuroscience. Onsite facilities include dedicated MRI and MEG scanners, a hearing laboratory, and the developmental research centre suitable for infants through to older children. The CBSU is also a stakeholder in a clinical research facility and a new 7T ultra high field MRI scanner on the Addenbrooke’s campus in Cambridge.

Applications are invited for a postdoctoral scientist to join a project, funded by Action on Hearing Loss, that aims to improve outcomes by cochlear implant (CI) users.  The research plan consists of  a) psychophysical experiments using “direct stimulation” of the CI so as to identify electrodes that could be profitably re-programmed or switched off, and b) evaluation of spectro-temporal tests of CI hearing as predictors of which strategies will and will not improve speech perception.

This position is fixed-term for 3 years, and will be located at the Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, Cambridge. It will be supervised by Dr. Bob Carlyon.

You will have, or be in the final stages of completing a PhD in psychology, hearing science, or a numerate discipline.  Experience of programming and calibrating auditory and, preferably, CI experiments, is highly desirable.

Choosing to come to work at the MRC CBSU means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a final salary pension scheme, 30 days annual leave entitlement, flexible working arrangements, childcare vouchers, and additionally a salary sacrifice cycle scheme, as well as access to employee/shopping travel discounts.  On site car and bicycle parking is available.  We also provide a wide range of training opportunities to all our staff.

Our success is dependent on our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our staff.  As holders of an Athena SWAN bronze award we welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age.  As users of the “Two Ticks” disability symbol we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum essential criteria for the post.

For full details of this post and to complete an online application form visit https://mrc.tal.net/vx/lang-en-GB/mobile-0/appcentre-1/brand-3/user-19/xf-67b75f0f6440/wid-1/candidate/so/pm/4/pl/1/opp/352-Postdoctoral-Scientist-MRC-Cognition-and-Brain-Sciences-Unit-BC-352/en-GB and upload your CV along with a covering letter stating why you are applying for the post.

Closing date:  27th November 2016          https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS606DGyDyDGODetutPc9bDKlXBNw0LLZz0u4DLt7WVhx0M6EHfughttps://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS606DGyDyDGODetutPc9bDKlXBNw0LLZz0u4DLt7WVhx0M6EHfughttps://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS606DGyDyDGODetutPc9bDKlXBNw0LLZz0u4DLt7WVhx0M6EHfughttps://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS606DGyDyDGODetutPc9bDKlXBNw0LLZz0u4DLt7WVhx0M6EHfug

This position is subject to pre-employment screening

The Medical Research Council is an Equal Opportunities Employer

Dr. Bob Carlyon

Deputy Director

MRC Cognition & Brain Sciences Unit

15 Chaucer Rd.