Post-doc position in visually-driven speech enhancement for cognitively-inspired multi-modal hearing-aid devices

Postdoctoral Research Fellow

University of Stirling

Location:Stirling
Salary:£31,656 to £37,768 per annum (Grade 7)
Hours:Full Time
Contract Type:Contract / Temporary

Placed on:16th May 2016
Closes:26th June 2016
Job Ref:SCH00631

Post Details

Fixed Term Contract: expected dates 01 August 2016 to 30 September 2018.

Closing date: midnight on 26 June 2015.

The Post

The UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) funded project “Towards visually-driven speech enhancement for cognitively-inspired multi-modal hearing-aid devices (AV-COGHEAR)”, aims to develop a new generation of hearing aid technology that extracts speech from noise by using a camera to see what the talker is saying. Our proposed approach is consistent with normal hearing. Listeners naturally combine information from both their ears and eyes: we use our eyes to help us hear. When listening to speech, eyes follow the movements of the face and mouth and a sophisticated, multi-stage process uses this information to separate speech from the noise and fill in any gaps. Our proposed cognitively-inspired multi-modal approach will act much the same way by exploiting visual information from a camera, and develop novel causal algorithms, for intelligently combining audio and visual Big Data information, in order to improve speech quality and intelligibility in real-world noisy environments. The postdoctoral research fellow will be part of a multi-institute team, led by Stirling, comprising speech researchers, psychologists, and industry partners, and will focus heavily on cognitively-inspired signal and image processing.

For more information visit: http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/ANR200/postdoctoral-research-fellow/