[AUDITORY] SV: AC/BC: Why would bone conduction be poorer than air conduction?

Becky and others,

This is an interesting subject and I also have a few thoughts on this. As Jont eluded it is difficult to answer your precise issues unless we have more information, but we can break down the problem in a few specific issues that can shed some light on the problem.

I cannot say that I see these great differences of 30 dB but a difference of 20 dB is not too uncommon. First, the threshold is estimated by the normal HW procedure (I guess), which has an inherent variability of at least 5 dB. This makes the uncertainty for the two thresholds around 10 dB. Next, the 0 dB HL for AC and BC is determined as the average from a great number of normal hearing subjects, and only the group mean is expected to have the same AC and BC thresholds, not the individual. This spread would probably lead to 10-15 dB possible difference and these two factors alone almost account for the difference you reported.

However, if your question is why there is a individual spread in the AC and BC thresholds, leading to this uncertainty, that is a different question and require more insight into sound transmission by AC and BC. Here, size, geometry and material properties do affect the transmission. One issue that can be influencing the BC perception to a great extent is that the primary excitation of the inner ear is direct transmission, i.e. not through the outer and middle ear. The vibration in the bone around the inner ear are multi dimensional (3xtranslation, 3xrotation, etc). These adds in magnitude and phase and in model simulations it can be shown that due to constructive and destructive summation there is a large spread (20 dB) of the basilar membrane excitation, that is frequency dependent. This could in part explain the larger variability seen with BC threshold estimations. Things as skin in between the transducer and the skull is insignificant at low frequencies (as 500 Hz) but have a huge effect at 3-4 kHz where the resonances of the transducer housing interacts with the mechanical impedance of the skin covered bone. We have not seen any correlation between skiull bone size, thickness, mass etc on the skull vibration transmission and it seem unlikely that there is a simple relationship between those and hearing thresholds, at least not in the adults.

Sorry for the lengthy response but I got a bit warmed up.

Regards

Stefan