[AUDITORY] CfP: ETHI-CA² 2016 @ LREC

Call for Papers

http://emotion-research.net/sigs/ethics-sig/ethi-ca2

ETHI-CA² 2016: ETHics In Corpus Collection, Annotation & Application

An
LREC 2016 workshop.

24 May 2016, Portoroz, Slovenia

Workshop Description:

ETHI-CA²’s focus spans ethical aspects around the entire processing pipeline from speech and language as well as multimodal resource collection and annotation to system development and application.
In the recent time of ever-more collection “in the wild” of individual and personal multimodal and –sensorial “Big Data”, crowd-sourced annotation by large groups of individuals with often unknown reliability and high subjectivity, and “deep” and autonomous learning with limited transparency of what is being learnt, and how applications such as in health or robotics depending on such data may behave, ethics have become more crucial than ever in the field of language and multimodal resources making it a key concern of the LREC community. There is, however, a surprising if not shocking white spot in the landscape of workshops, special session, or journal special issues in this field, which ETHI-CA² aims to fill in.
The goal is thus to connect individuals ranging across LREC’s fields of interest such as human-machine and –robot and computer-mediated human-human interaction and communication, affective, behavioural, and social computing whose work touches on crucial ethical issues (e.g., privacy, tracability, explainability, evaluation, responsibility, etc.). According systems increasingly interact with and exploit data of humans of all ranges (e.g., children, adults, vulnerable populations) including non-verbal and verbal data occurring in a variety of real-life contexts (e.g., at home, the hospital, on the phone, in the car, classroom, or public transportation) and act as assistive and partially instructive technologies, companions, and/or commercial or even decision making systems. Obviously, an immense responsibility lies at the different ends from data recording, labelling, and storage to its processing and usage.

Motivation:

Emerging interactive systems have changed the way we connect with our machines, modifying how we socialize, our reasoning capabilities, and our behavior. These areas inspire critical questions centering on the ethics, the goals, and the deployment of innovative products that can change our lives and society. - Many current systems operate on private user data, including identifiable information, or data that provides insight into an individual’s life routine. The workshop will provide discussions of user consent and the notion of informed data collection. - Cloud-based storage systems have grown in popularity as the scope of user-content and user-generated content has greatly increased in size. The workshop will provide discussions on best practices for data annotation and storage and evolving views on data ownership. - Systems have become increasingly capable of mimicking human behavior through research in affective computing. These systems have provided demonstrated utility, for interactions with vulnerable populations (e.g., the elderly, children with autism). The workshop will provide discussions on considerations for vulnerable populations. - The common mantra for assistive technology is, “augmenting human care, rather than replacing human care.” It is critical that the community anticipates this shift and understands the implication of machine-in-the-loop diagnostic and assessment strategies.

Topics of Interest:

Topics include, but are not limited to:

§  Ethics in recording of private content

§  Ethics in multimodal, sensorial data collection

§  Ethics in annotation (crowd-sourced) of private data

§  Data storage/sharing/anonymization

§  Transparency in Machine Learning

§  Ethics in Affective, Behavioural, and Social Computing

§  Responsibility in Educational Software and Serious Games

§  Human-machine interaction for vulnerable populations

§  Computer-mediated Human-Human Communication

§  Responsibility in Decision-Support based on Data

§  The role of assistive technology in health care

Summary of the Call:

The ETHI-CA² 2016 workshop is crucially needed first edition in a planned for longer series. The goal of the workshop is to connect individuals ranging across LREC’s fields of interest such as human-machine and –robot and computer-mediated human-human interaction and communication, affective, behavioural, and social computing whose work touches on crucial ethical issues (e.g., privacy, tracability, explainability, evaluation, responsibility, etc.). These areas inspire critical questions centering on the ethics, the goals, and the deployment of innovative products that can change our lives and consequently, society. It is critical that our notion of ethical principles evolves with the design of technology. As humans put increasing trust in systems, we must understand how best to protect privacy, explain what information the systems record, the implications of these recordings, what a system can learn about a user, what a third party could learn by gaining access to the data, changes in human behavior resulting from the presence of the system, and many other factors. It is important that technologists and ethicists maintain a conversation over the development and deployment lifecycles of the technology. The ambition of this workshop is to collect the main ethics, goals and societal impact questions of our community including experts in sociology, psychology, neuroscience or philosophy. At LREC 2016, the workshop shall encourage a broad range of its community’s researchers to reflect about and exchange on ethical issues inherent in their research, providing an environment in which ethics co-evolve with technology.

Dates:

§  Deadline for 1500-2000 words abstract submission: 15 February 2016

§  Notification of acceptance: 10 March 2016

§  Final version of accepted paper: 15 March 2016

§  Workshop: 24 May 2016.

Author Information:

1500-2000 words extended abstracts are needed at first for submission. The full papers will be published as workshop proceedings along with the LREC main conference by ELRA. For these, the
instructions of LREC need to be followed. The submission will be via the START conference system.
journal special issue in a related journal is planned for inviting the best papers, but remaining open to further submissions. Further, a best paper award will be given.

Organizing Committee:

·       Laurence Devillers, LIMSI-CNRS/Paris-Sorbonne University, France, laurence.devillers@xxxxxxxx

·       Björn Schuller, Imperial College London, UK/University of Passau, Germany, schuller@xxxxxxxx

·       Emily Mower Provost, University of Michigan, USA, emilykmp@xxxxxxxxx

·       Peter Robinson, University Cambridge, UK, pr10@xxxxxxxxx

·       Joseph Mariani, IMMI/LIMSI-CNRS/University Paris-Saclay, France, Joseph.Mariani@xxxxxxxx

Univ.-Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil.

Björn W. Schuller

Head

Chair of Complex and Intelligent Systems

University of Passau

Passau / Germany

Reader (Associate Professor)

Department of Computing

Imperial College London

London / U.K.

CEO

audEERING UG

Gilching / Germany

Visiting Professor

School of Computer Science and Technology

Harbin Institute of Technology

Harbin / P.R. China

Associate

Institute for Information and Communication Technologies

Joanneum Research

Graz / Austria

Associate

Centre Interfacultaire en Sciences Affectives

Université de Genève

Geneva / Switzerland

Editor in Chief

IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing

schuller@xxxxxxxx

http://www.schuller.it

This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system; you should not copy it or disclose its contents to anyone. All messages sent to and from our institute may be monitored to ensure compliance with internal policies and to protect our business. Emails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses. Anyone who communicates with us by email is taken to accept these risks.