From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception [AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Cris Lanting [c.lanting@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 27 January 2016 07:42
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Will I be deaf?

Trevor,

There are at least two somewhat older references that come to mind when it comes to (median, no distributions, I’m afraid) hearing levels and age. One is by Spoor 1967 (ref 1) describing the hearing levels as a function of age in western countries and the other is about the hearing levels as a function of age in a non-industrial country (Sudan) by Rosen et al., 1962 (ref 2).

Not sure though whether this answers your question about proportions of the adult population that have a significant hearing-loss (e.g., Fletcher index > 35 dB), which in itself is only a single-value description that may neglect the overall shape of the audiogram. As mentioned earlier, thresholds may not necessarily be a good predictor of performance as neural integrity at threshold may be different than at higher sound levels (see e.g. hidden hearing loss).

Cheers
Cris

Cris Lanting, PhD
Dept. of Otorhinolaryngology, University Medical Center Groningen
P.O. Box 30.001
9700 RB  Groningen
THE NETHERLANDS
Phone: +31-50-3637157
Email: c.p.lanting@xxxxxxx

(1) ugly link: https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi0vZL38cbKAhWFoA4KHfcXDgoQFggfMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.isa-audiology.org%2Fperiodicals%2F1962-1970_International_Audiology%2FInternatAudio%2C%2520%2520Vol.%25206%2C%2520%25201967%2FNo.%25201%2520%2520(7-95)%2FSpoor%2C%2520%2520InternatAudio%2C%2520%25201967.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHe9VWDzt0cqvDYAEqdTsG2YnrwZg&sig2=NtilGGeGcYDZdug6L0lwvg

(2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/13974856