Re: [AUDITORY] CfP - Inaugural Issue of the Journal of Creative Music Systems

While I’m quite happy with the study of synthetic creativity, what I don’t understand is why you would want autonomous systems to write music.

What is the purpose of it?

As a musician (of sorts) I can well understand systems to help me write or perform music, but why I would want a system to relieve me of my need to be creative I do not understand. If all I want is music to listen to, there’s lots of it available (and that’s a different problem, also causing pain to lots of performing musicians).

Or is it  for autonomous synthetic listeners to listen to? That would be quite interesting: autonomous systems creating music, being listened to by an autonomous synthetic audience. You wouldn’t even need to actually play it, or even to convert it from digital to analog: it could be directly piped digitally from the synthetic composer to the synthetic audience, thus removing any requirement for human participation at all.

Yours (not too seriously)

Leslie Smith