Re: Working memory (Reading Span) & Speech in noise

Dear Christian, and Daniel,

This is starting to get interesting.

What we showed is that the variance on these average consonant tests is so large as to render them somewhat uninteresting (my reading, and possible
over interpretation of our results). You can decide for yourself if you do or dont like my conclusion. Ref 1

Age has nothing to do with it (Another personal opinion).

Hearing loss, even with near- normal thresholds, has everything to do with it. A small hearing loss (30 dB at 6 kHz) can kill the very high performance,
on a few consonants. (refs 3,4,5)

We find that most consonants (80%) have zero error (1 error in 500 trials) down to 0 dB SNR, and a subset down to -10 dB SRN. (ref 2)

Each consonant has a binary threshold which we call either SNR90 (or SNR50), SNR90 means the threshold for getting other than zero errors, 10% of the time.
The probability correct is 90% at SNR-90. (refs 1 and 2)

You can read about this in the following two papers:

1) Toscano, Joseph and Allen, Jont B (2014) Across and within consonant errors for isolated syllables in noise, Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research,
 Accepted July 25, 2014; doi:10.1044/2014_JSLHR-H-13-0244, (JSLHR,pdf)

 http://auditorymodels.org/GEAR/Djvu/Toscano-Allen-JSLHR-2014.pdf

2) Riya Singh and Jont Allen (2012); "The influence of stop consonants’ perceptual features on the Articulation Index model,"
J. Acoust. Soc. Am., apr v131,3051-3068 (pdf)

http://auditorymodels.org/GEAR/Djvu/SinghAllen12.pdf

The Hearing loss results are here:

3) Trevino, Andrea and Allen, Jont B (2013). "Individual Variability of Hearing Impaired Consonant Perception," Seminars in Hearing, Guest Editor: Jason Galster PhD.; (pdf)
4) Trevino, Andrea C and Allen, Jont B (2012). "Within-Consonant Perceptual Differences in the Hearing Impaired Ear," JASA v134(1); Jul, 2013, pp 607--617 (pdf)
5) Allen, Jont B, Trevino, Andrea, Han, Woojae (2012); "Speech perception in impaired ears," Presentation at the AG Bell Research Symposium,
    Scottsdale AZ, Jul 1; (event,djvu,pdf,doc)

If you get a login/passwd challenge, email me and I'll send it to you. Its a pretty simple password, that even could be guessed.
Its only there to keep hackers out of my hair.

Jont Allen