Working memory (Reading Span) & Speech in noise

Dear List,

There is a growing body of evidence that working memory capacity is positively associated with speech-in-noise perception in listeners with hearing loss and when spanning a wide age range.

In a recent study (Fullgrabe, Moore, and Stone, 2015), we found a significant correlation between consonant-in-noise or speech-in-speech identification and Reading-Span scores in an audiometrically normal-hearing group composed of young and older listeners. However, this correlation was no longer significant when the effect of age was partialled out or when only the older (60-79 years) listeners were entered into the correlational analysis. A review of the recent literature reveals that the results of those studies investigating this link in normal-hearing listeners (with the effect of age controlled for and using the Reading-Span test) are mixed (see Zekveld et al., 2011; Besser et al., 2012; Ellis and Munro, 2013; Kilman et al., 2014; Moradi et al., 2014; Zekveld et al., 2014; Stenback et al., 2015).

Can anyone please point me to other publications on the topic of speech-in-noise perception and working memory capacity (as measured by the Reading-Span test) in young normal-hearing listeners I might have overlooked, or share his/her opinion, experience, unpublished data?

Many thanks in advance for any pointers.

Christian (christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Christian Fullgrabe

Senior Investigator Scientist

MRC Institute of Hearing Research