Re: Test to measure selective attention and switching attention

Hi Ganesh,

Yes, I would highly recommend some sort of standardized neuropsych testing for the experiment you describe.  In the elderly population, cognitive factors may indeed come into play, and it would be nice for you to have some idea of how your participants perform on a standardized measure.  Other than the Stroop, you might consider the Comprehensive Trail Making Test (CTMT) (more info at http://www.proedinc.com/customer/productView.aspx?ID=2041).  It consists of five different "trails" which assess characteristics such as attention, distractability, "set-shifting" or the switching of attention between different sets of parameters aka cognitive flexibility, and visual search, sequencing, and recognition speed.  It has been normed on a realtively large population and requires about 10 minutes to run the whole thing.  The only caution is that normative values are only available up to the age of 75, so if you are testing older participants, this may not be for you. However, I believe earlier versions of the trail making test do extend to higher age groups, so those might be worth checking out too.  Good luck with your project!

Melissa Papesh

Postdoctoral Fellow, Polytrauma and TBI Rehabilitation

National Center for Rehabilitative Auditory Research

VA Portland Healthcare System

Portland, OR  97239