Re: USB sound cards

The series resistor shown in the Analog Devices application note is for stability, as you say. However, since it is within the overall negative feedback loop, the circuit's output impedance is reduced close to  zero.

The possibility of current driving rather than voltage driving transducers depends very much on the transducer's design and the objectives. With moving coil motors connected to near-rigid diaphragms such as in loudspeakers and many headphones (not balanced armature types) a pure voltage drive is generally needed for best results as it is the displacement rather than the force that is the key.

Electrical impedance matching is usually to avoid reflections in long transmission lines and, in practical audio circuits where the source impedance is due to a resistor, ensures that half the power is actually dissipated as heat.

NeilA