Re: perceptual audio evaluation tests

For source-separation algorithms, most researchers have started with
mixtures where the separate tracks are completely known -- i.e., the
"ground truth". Then it's just a matter of comparing the separated
signal to original signal. The rms difference between the two can be
computed, for example.

Judging the quality without knowing the original tracks would perhaps
be best done by human juries, although I know there are programs such
as PSNR, PAQM and PEAQ available. I think human perceived quality
would be the best in the long run, although if a program could match
this perception, it would certaily be a lot more efficient.

Jim