Re: Driving headphones at high peak levels

Bob, that's a very interesting and thorough analysis, but the weak point of the sound card you recommend seems to be the low-frequency response.

The 2 ohm output you refer to is labelled "line out" in your document, so doesn't that suggest that it's designed for driving high impedance loads? If so, there's probably a decoupling capacitor on the card's output, attenuating low frequencies, even when driving a normal (high) line impedance. This seems to be confirmed in your frequency response graphs.

Driving a lower load impedance (e.g. headphones) will decrease the time constant associated with the capacitor and make this defect extend to higher frequencies.

Or am I reading too much into the graphs?

Steve Beet