Re: comparison of envelope rise times in orchestral instruments

Perhaps you are thinking of Clark and Luce?  Articles in the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society in the 1960s?

“Intensities of orchestral instrument scales played at prescribed dynamic markings”  1965

“Duration of attack transients of nonpercussive orchestral instruments”  1965

“A preliminary experiment on the perceptual basis for musical instrument families”  1964

Etc.

Rob