PhD studentship/Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) position at Anglia Ruskin University

Dear all

We have the following PhD studentship/Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) opportunity at Anglia Ruskin University based in Cambridge, UK. We welcome any enquires and applications.

Ref: 000277

Based in Cambridge

Fee Waiver Research Bursary

Our vibrant, modern University is gaining prominence both nationally and internationally and we have ambitious plans for our future. Our main campuses in the cities of Cambridge, Chelmsford and Peterborough have been transformed with major capital investments. With an annual income of £179m, over 30,000 students and 2,000 staff, we are a major force for higher education in the East of England.

The Faculty of Science and Technology is one of the largest in our University supporting over 6,000 students worldwide. The Department of Vision and Hearing Sciences operates on our Cambridge campuses. We offer various courses in vision and hearing to over 600 students. We maintain close links with the industry and our courses offer excellent employment prospects for our graduates. The department has a good research base, with over 20 academic staff. We currently host 14 PhD students at various stages of their research.

We are currently offering a research studentship / Graduate Teaching Assistant position to an exceptional graduate who will become a full time research student and will be expected to undertake up to 6 hours of teaching each week during term time. Some experience of assisting with teaching and learning in Higher Education is desirable, along with well-developed communication skills. You will undertake a sponsored PhD and will be paid a stipend of £15,000 per annum plus fees paid (at UK / EU level), for 2 years MPhil extended to 3 years PhD, subject to satisfactory performance. It is expected that you will complete your research in the agreed timescale. This is an exciting opportunity to join our vibrant and growing department. The start date is October 2014 and the area of research is described below.

Research Project:

Tinnitus is defined as a phantom auditory perception in the absence of external sound. The perception of tinnitus can vary from person to person, as can its consequences. There are various treatment/ management strategies (e.g. hearing aids, sound therapy, counselling) used for tinnitus, although no effective drug treatments are available. Studies suggest that the CBT based treatment for tinnitus is the strongest evidence base to date, although much work remains in terms of understanding how the effect of this treatment may vary across different tinnitus groups. This research position is to look at applications of internet-based CBT interventions in the management of tinnitus sufferers in the UK and aims to investigate the effectiveness of such interventions. This project is conducted in collaboration with Professor Gerhard Andersson, Linkoping University, Sweden.

The teaching aspect of the role is expected to support the hearing aid audiology course in the department. You will have clinical expertise in audiology and excellent communication skills. Previous research experience would be an advantage but is not essential.

Informal enquiries can be made to Dr Vinaya Manchaiah, Senior Lecturer in Audiology, at vinaya.manchaiah@xxxxxxxxxxxx or on 01223 698653,or to

Professor David Baguley at dmb29@xxxxxxxxx.

It is expected that interviews will take place during the first week of July 2014.

To apply: Please visit, http://www24.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_angliaruskin01.asp?newms=jj&id=63236&

We value diversity at Anglia Ruskin University and welcome applications from all sections of the community.

Closing Date: 15 June 2014

Kind Regards

Vinay

Vinaya Manchaiah

Senior Lecturer in Audiology

Coslett 204, Faculty of Sciences and Technology,

Department of Vision and Hearing Sciences

Anglia Ruskin University

Cambridge CB1 1PT

Tel: +44 (0) 1223 698653

Fax: +44 (0) 1223 695056

World-leading research.  The government rated 8 areas of our research activity as world-leading in the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) 2008, they were:   Allied Health Professions & Studies; Art & Design; English Language & Literature; Geography & Environmental Studies; History; Music; Psychology and Social Work & Social Policy & Administration.

This e-mail and any attachments are intended for the above named recipient(s) only and may be privileged. If they have come to you in error you must take  no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone: please reply to this e-mail to highlight the error and then immediately delete the e-mail from your system. Any opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Anglia Ruskin University.
Although measures have been taken to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus we advise that, in keeping with good computing practice, the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free. Please note that this message has been sent over public networks which may not be a 100% secure communications.