[SummerSchool] Pitch, Music and Associated Pathologies (1st call)

[Apologies for multiple postings]

1st announcement:

Summer school: Pitch, Music, and Associated Pathologies
(website)

A summer school on "Pitch, Music, and Associated Pathologies", will be held in Lyon, France, during three days: July 9-11, 2014.

This summer school is organized jointly by CeLyA and the GDR GRAEC. CeLyA is a « laboratoire d'excellence » (LabEx) wich is a virtual lab gathering the research teams working on acoustics and hearing in the Lyon area, funded by the "Investissement d'avenir" program of the French Ministry of Research. One of CeLyA's objective is the dissemination of knowledge in all disciplines of acoustics and hearing sciences. The GDR CNRS GRAEC (Groupement de Recherche en Audiologie Experimentale et Clinique) is a network which regroups french national research teams, ETN departments of Hospital and the participation of industrial partners (cochlear implants and hearing aids).

The public for this summer school will be students and young researchers with various backgrounds in hearing sciences. As the summer school will be entirely in English, we expect international participations. We are hoping for a lot of fruitful exchanges between the participants and the speakers, with a didactical format for the presentations and enough time for discussion. The scientific sessions and a preliminary list of invited speakers is detailed below. We also encourage all participants to bring a poster as a vector for informal discussions about their work.

There are no registration costs. Lunches, coffee breaks and all socials will be offered to all participants during the duration of the summer school. To enhance interaction between participants and invited speakers, the available places will be strictly limited and the participants should go through a application process by sending an email (with object: [SummerSchool]) to the organizing committee [SummerSchool (at) crnl.cnrs.fr] attached with a motivation letter and a brief CV (no more than two pages altogether).

The deadline to apply is 30th April 2014.

We recommend all participants to stay at the Valpré conference center where the summer school will take place. Rooms will be automatically booked when registering, unless specifically stated otherwise by the applicant, but will remains, if selected, at the applicant's charge (75€/night single room or 98€/night twin room).

Further scientific details will come soon in a second call and on the dedicated website, but we already welcome registrations.

We hope to see you in Lyon in July,

The organizing committee : Pascal Barone, Anne Caclin, Nicolas Grimault

Preliminary scientific program:

Session 1 : pitch and associated pathologies

Daniel Pressnitzer, Dept. Etude Cognitives, ENS, Paris, France
Monitta Chatterjee, Boys Town National Research Hospital, Omaha, USA
Olivier Macherey, LMA, Marseille, France
Christophe Micheyl, Starkey, San Francisco, USA
Dan Gnansia, Neurelec, Paris, France
Chris James, Cochlear, Toulouse, France.

Session 2 : Music and associated pathologies

Bénédicte Poulin-Charonnat, LEAD, Dijon, France
Marion Cousineau, BRAMS, Montreal, Canada
Barbara Tillmann, CRNL, Lyon, France
Elvira Brattico, Cogn. Brain Res. Unit, Helsinki, Finland
Mathieu Marx, National Research Hospital (CHU), Toulouse, France.