[AUDITORY] SAT, and Question about Sound Pressure Levels

Title: Signature

Thank you for the prompt response.

105 dB !!??

I will from now on strongly advise AGAINST people attending events at SAT  http://sat.qc.ca  until such time as it is clear that the production team at SAT understands the damaging effects to hearing of the sound pressure levels that seem to be found as “acceptable”.

These are the figures from the Center for Disease Control:
http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/noise/signs.htm

Potentially Hazardous Sound Level
Sound Source ExamplesSound Intensity (Decibels)Recommended Exposure Limits For Repeated Exposures*Comments
School cafeteria858 hoursProlonged exposures might cause slight hearing loss. Hearing protection should be used if regularly exposed to this sound level beyond the exposure limit.‡
Band class902 hoursHearing protection should be used if regularly exposed to this sound level beyond the exposure limit.‡
Wood or metal shop, power tools, snowmobile10015 minutesHearing protection should be used if exposed to this sound level beyond the exposure limit.‡
Hazardous Sound Level
Sound Source ExamplesSound Intensity (Decibels)Recommended Exposure Limits For Repeated Exposures*Comments
Personal stereo system at high volume1055 minutesHearing protection should be used if exposed to this sound level beyond the exposure limit.‡

Might I strongly suggest that the production team at SAT review the procedures for assuring the public that sound pressure levels, DO NOT, reach or exceed 90dB.

Thanks for your time

Kevin Austin
Professor, Electroacoustic Studies
Department of Music