Re: [AUDITORY] How to speak to people about hearing loss and high sound

One of the events that the ASA has been regularly hosting at its
biannual meetings is the Jam Session, which is very rock-oriented
and sports very high sound levels. I can only handle about a half
hour of it, but some people stay for the full three hours.

Don't get me wrong -- I think the Jam Session is a great idea.
It's a lot of fun and a great release from all the technical
activity. But maybe some of the ASA P&P or Noise people on this
list could pressure the ASA into supplying acoustically-tuned
earplugs for the attendees?

(BTW, I have tinnitus, which I probably picked up from attending
too many electronic music concerts.)

Jim

James W. Beauchamp
Professor Emeritus of Music and Electrical & Computer Engineering
email: jwbeauch@xxxxxxxxxxxx (also: jwbeauch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
phone: +1-217-344-3307
WWW:  http://ems.music.uiuc.edu/beaucham