From: Disinformation PR <dsnfrmtn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: British Library Sound Archive - Rorschach Audio talk - 28 June 2013
Date: 2013 June 19 12:12:56 PM EDT

Inline image 1

Writing in "Playback: The Bulletin of the British Library Sound Archive", Toby Oakes observed that the archive "deals with the voices of the dead every day, but our subjects tend to have been alive at the time of recording". "Mortality was no impediment" however, in the case of tapes recorded by parapsychologist Konstantin Raudive, who claimed that Galileo, Goethe and Hitler communicated with him through the medium of radio. Raudive was the most famous exponent of Electronic Voice Phenomena (EVP), as it is known, and the British Library holds a collection of 60 of his unedited tapes.

Rather than dismissing the claims of EVP researchers out-of-hand, author Joe Banks demonstrates a number of highly entertaining audio-visual illusions, which show how the mind can misinterpret recordings of sound and of stray communications chatter, in a similar way to how viewers project imaginary images onto the random visual forms of the psychiatrist Hermann Rorschach's famous ink-blot tests. The talk stresses the important role such guesswork plays in normal perception, and discusses descriptions of sound phenomena by Leonardo da Vinci and the work of the BBC Monitoring Service, emphasizing the influence that wartime intelligence work with sound had on one of the most important works of visual arts theory ever published.

The talk starts at 12:30. Admission free. Booking essential. To attend please e-mail your name to summer-scholars@xxxxx.

Rorschach Audio – Ghost Voices, Art, Illusions & Sonic Archives
12:30 lunch-time, 28 June 2013
The British Library
96 Euston Road
London NW1 2DB

Cockneys vs Zombies – Rorschach Ink Blots & the Auditory Undead
6 pages in Shoppinghour magazine - http://tinyurl.com/mhe86dg