Re: [AUDITORY] Note durations in music ][

Kevin, I have two comments. First, and this is something the 1960s
music-information theorists (e.g., Moles) have recognized: "events" (call
them notes or anything else) happen when something abruptly (within
limits) changes: my definition of change is in the modulation domain (AM
and/or FM). This makes the duration dimension pretty second-order, as Dick
Warner also noted.

Second, yes, there are rhythm theories and I want to single out the pretty
interesting treatise on rhythm by a Mozarteum theory professor, Friedrich
Neumann: "Die Zeitgestalt, eine Lehre vom musikalischen Rhythmus" (1959,
two slim volumes). This theory takes rhythm far beyond meter/taps and
defines it in terms of the "event's" function in the flow of the musical
piece in time and across spectral space. I highly recommend it even for
readers of not more than basic German because everything is illustrated
and the second volume contains only examples.

-Pierre