[AUDITORY] Note durations in music

Dear Ani,

I just reread the section on statistical analyses of tonal compositions, in Carol Krumhansl's (1990, p. 62-76) book, and note duration data is harder to come by than frequency of occurrence data.

You're probably already aware of this possibility, but this would be a perfect application for David Huron's Humdrum. The music database does include work for solo flute and other solo instruments.

http://www.music-cog.ohio-state.edu/Music824/databases.index.html

Nick

Nicholas A. Smith, Ph.D.
Director, Perceptual Development Laboratory
Boys Town National Research Hospital
555 North 30th St, Omaha, NE, 68144
Office: 402-452-5070
Lab: 402-452-5091