Registration reminder: CHiME 2013, 2nd International Workshop on Machine Listening in Multisource Environments

               2nd International Workshop on
Machine Listening in Multisource Environments (CHiME 2013)

              in conjunction with ICASSP 2013
              June 1, 2013, Vancouver, Canada

        http://spandh.dcs.shef.ac.uk/chime_workshop/

*NEW REGISTRATION DEADLINE*: May 11, 2013

*FINAL PROGRAMME*

http://spandh.dcs.shef.ac.uk/chime_workshop/programme.html

*KEYNOTES*

Model-based Speech Separation and Recognition: Yesterday, Today, and
Tomorrow
Steven J. Rennie, IBM

Recently, model-based approaches for multi-talker speech separation and
recognition have demonstrated great success in highly constrained
scenarios, and efficient algorithms for separating data with literally
*trillions* of underlying states have been unveiled. In less constrained
scenarios, deep neural networks (DNNs) learned on features inspired by
human auditory processing have shown great capacity for directly
learning masking functions from parallel data. Ideally, a robust speech
separation/recognition system should be continuously learning, adapting,
and exploiting structure that is present in both target and peripheral
signals and interactions, make minimal assumptions about the data to be
separated/recognized, not require parallel data streams, and have
essentially unlimited information capacity. In this talk I will briefly
review the current state of robust speech separation/recognition
technology--where we are, where we apparently need to go, and how we
might get there. I? will then discuss in more detail recent work that I? have
been involved with that is aligned with these goals. Specifically, I
will discuss some new results on efficiently learning the structure of
models and efficiently optimizing a wide class of matrix-valued
functions, some recent work on Factorial Restricted Boltzmann machines
for robust ASR, and finally, Direct product DBNs, a new architecture
that makes it feasible to learn DNNs with literally *millions* of neurons.

Recognizing and Classifying Environmental Sounds
Daniel P.W. Ellis, Columbia University

Animal hearing exists to extract useful information out of the
environment, and for a lot of animals for a large portion of the
evolutionary history of hearing this sound environment has not consisted
of speech or music, but of more generic acoustic information arising
from collisions, motions, and other events in the external world.  This
aspect of sound analysis -- getting information out of non-speech,
non-music, environmental sounds -- is finally beginning to gain
popularity in research since it holds promise as a tool for automatic
search and retrieval of audio/video recordings, an increasingly urgent
problem.  I will discuss our recent work in using audio analysis to
manage and search environmental sound archives (including personal audio
lifelogs and consumer video collections), and illustrate with some of
the approaches that work more or less well, with an effort to explain why.

*OVERVIEW*

CHiME 2013 will consider the challenge of developing machine listening
applications for operation in multisource environments, i.e. real-world
conditions with acoustic clutter, where the number and nature of the
sound sources is unknown and changing over time. It will bring together
researchers from a broad range of disciplines (computational hearing,
blind source separation, speech recognition, machine learning) to
discuss novel and established approaches to this problem. The
cross-fertilisation of ideas will foster fresh approaches that
efficiently combine the complementary strengths of each research field.

One highlight of the Workshop will be the presentation of the results of
the 2nd CHiME Speech Separation and Recognition Challenge, that is a
two-microphone multisource speech separation and recognition challenge
supported by the IEEE AASP, MLSP and SLTC Technical Committees. To find
out more, please visit http://spandh.dcs.shef.ac.uk/chime_challenge.

*REGISTRATION*

To register, please visit
http://spandh.dcs.shef.ac.uk/chime_workshop/registration.html

The registration fee is 35 UK pounds and includes admission to the
sessions, electronic proceedings, buffet lunch, and tee and coffee breaks.

*VENUE*

The workshop is taking place at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver, 655 Burrard
Street -- close to the ICASSP 2013 venue -- on the day after ICASSP
finishes, Saturday 1st June. Information about accommodation and how to
get to and from downtown Vancouver can be found on the main ICASSP website:
http://www.icassp2013.com

See you in Vancouver.

Best regards,

CHiME Organising Committee

--
Dr. Jon Barker, Department of Computer Science,
University of Sheffield, Sheffield,  S1 4DP, UK