CfP

Hi, would it be possible to post this message below to the Auditory List?

Thanks, Marcel

Journal of Sonic Studies: Call for Papers

Special Issue: Sound design

Deadline: August 1, 2013

Contact: noise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Although sound is a natural phenomenon, many sounds in our cultural environment are designed by humans. Street signs make use of specific acoustic signals, kitchen appliances are tweaked in such a way that they produce sounds that users of these devices are expected to hear, car doors are supposed to make a particular sound when they are closed, a sound that conveys solidity, safety, and quality to the driver of that car. Often, these sounds are not produced as a result of the mechanical and electrical processes that are necessary for a correct functioning of the device. Instead, they are designed and added in order to enhance the aesthetic experience of operating the device, or to improve its ease of use.

Sonic environments, too, are often designed. Sound is used to demarcate place, to invite people, or to exclude certain individuals. Also, sound can influence people's mental state, to calm them, to excite them, to convince them to stay longer and spend more. This is one of the reasons why sound design is important in games and cinema as well. The veracity and convincing power of the virtual environments created within these media can be greatly enhanced through a proper design of the sounds that can be heard. In short, perhaps even more so than visual objects, sound is capable of manipulating human subjects.

In the sixth issue of the Journal of Sonic Studies we would like to explore these, and other, instances of sound design. We invite papers that explain specific practices of sound design, written by sound designers themselves, as well as essays that critically examine the use of sound in urban environments, devices, movies, etc. We are even more interested to receive contributions that not only deal with sound design in one way or another, but are also themselves designed in new, surprising and perhaps even irritating ways. As it is an e-journal, the Journal of Sonic Studies allows for many conventional and unconventional ways to represent ideas on sound design, both in words, sounds, and images.

Potential contributors are invited to submit completed essays by August 1, 2013.

For more information, or to submit an essay, please visit http://www.sonicstudies.org or contact noise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Editors of this issue: Elif Ozcan, Marcel Cobussen, Vincent Meelberg

Dr. Marcel Cobussen
Leiden University
Faculty of Humanities
Academy of Creative and Performing Arts