Fwd: Silent Speech RA Job at Sheffield

Hi All,

Apologies for cross-postings.

We have a vacancy at Sheffield from 1st April for a researcher on the DISARMÂ 'silent speech' project in which we collaborate with the University of Hull. Here's a short summary:

The DISARM project, a collaboration between the University of Sheffield and the University of Hull, Âis seeking to help people who have lost the ability to speak following a laryngectomy: surgical removal of all or part of the larynx. The technique, developed at Hull, involves positioning small magnets around the lips and tongue and sensing the changes in magnetic field caused by movement of these magnets as the subject mouths the words s/he wants to âsayâ. Hence DISARM stands for âDigital Speech Recovery from Articulator Movementâ. The Sheffield team has shown that it is possible to recognise speech from this sensor data and then use a speech synthesiser to provide the subject with a voice. This post is concerned with further developments of this technique, and with the alternative possibility of using the sensor data to drive a synthesiser directly, without the intermediate recognition stage. It will run for around 18 months.

Please bring this to the attention of anyone you know who might be interested.

Thanks
--
Professor Phil Green

phone: (44) 114 22 21828