Re: sound card recommendations

Josh,

Echoing Bob's comments I don't use a Mac so I might be missing something, but *if* there is any weakness in the Mac's built-in sound hardware, I'd expect it to be on the analogue side of the DACs: the frequency and group-delay responses *may* not be so flat or extended (especially at the low-frequency end), there *may* be more noise and more cross-talk between channels, and there *may* be more distortion. The built-in headphone amplifier may also be unable to produce the signal level you require to drive high-end headphones (which usually have a higher impedance and so need a bigger voltage to drive them).

If you do decide you need an external sound card, I've been using a Teac UD-H01 recently and have been very happy with it. It's list price is pretty high (£400 in the UK), but can be found heavily discounted if you shop around (less than half price).

It has drivers for Mac and PC, and has a good built-in headphone amplifier. It has its own separate power supply, and doesn't rely on the USB connection for power so the output level should be high enough for what you need (although that will depend on the sensitivity and impedance of your headphones). The critical specs are as follows:

32-bit/192kHz Dual D/A Converters
Internal up-sampling from 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, or 176.4kHz, to 192kHz (if required)
Frequency Response: 5Hz - 55kHz (-3dB, 192kHz sampling)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 115dB
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.0015% (1kHz signal, 192kHz sampling)

The only down-side for scientific experiments is that there is a continuously-variable output level control, so you might need to devise a method for calibrating the sound pressure level heard by your subjects.

Steve Beet