Re: The climb of absolute pitch

Dear Bob and other,

Reference oscillators?  Are these for real, or just part of
the proposed pitch shift explanation?

Appropriate oscillators have been reported both in mammals

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11344253

comment

http://www.neuroscience-of-music.se/Galazyuk.htm

and, even more compellingly, in birds

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8517126

The function of these oscillators in pitch extraction has not yet been investigated. Those who have the means to do so usually are unaware of the basics of pitch extraction. Those who have knowledge on pitch extraction usually have no means to work on cellular neurophysiology.

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music
S-66492 Värmskog