Re: The climb of absolute pitch

I've never heard what I consider to be a good explanation for this.  However, I
have noticed it in piano tuners as they get older.  These are people with very
extensive training in hearing out pitches.  Their training is ongoing so long as
they continue to tune pianos.  Through the use of tuning forks, strobes, etc.
these folks do get feedback as to their references for pitch but I have notices
that treble end tuning tends to be shaprp by several cents and even bass end
tends to be effected.  Interestingly enough, I have not found the essential
temprament intervals to be effected by whatever this is.

On another note, I also see this in musicians.  I've never seen anything to
indicate why it should be sharp for some people and flat for others but sharp
seems to be what I see the most.

At one time several years ago I had started to investigate this and my initial
findings seemed to indicate that pitch perception alteration might be more
common in those most likely to have noise induced hearing loss.

Tom

Tom Brennan  KD5VIJ, CCC-A/SLP
web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html