Re: The climb of absolute pitch

I don't know about the explanation, but it is definitely more than
just anecdote from a few individuals. See fig 2 of...

Dichotomy and perceptual distortions in absolute pitch ability
PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA  Volume: 104
Issue: 37   Pages: 14795-14800

(you really need to view it on a computer and zoom in to see the
increasing predominance of blue at the bottom of the figure - rather
a pity they couldnt think of some clearer way of summarising the data).

As Al says, it does seem likely that those w/i AP simply don't notice the chanege.

John.

>>> Pierre Divenyi <pdivenyi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 29 November 2012 19:10:30 >>>
Hi,

Several older persons who have had absolute pitch in their young years
experience perceiving a pitch by at least a half-tone (minor second) higher
than what it actually is â a phenomenon that the French calls the "climb of
the tuning fork" ("montee du diapason"). Since I am one of those unfortunate
individuals, I have been wondering what its physiological explanation is.
Can anyone on the list offer one?

-Pierre Divenyi