Re: The climb of absolute pitch

Hi Pierre,

It's possible that this change happens to many people, not just those with absolute pitch. However, those without absolute pitch wouldn't notice it -- as long as pitch relations (the sizes of pitch intervals) were preserved -- especially if the change occurred slowly.

As for a physiological mechanism, it might be analogous to whatever explains diplacusis. By the way, in the case of diplacusis, is it possible to say which ear is yielding the "correct" pitch? Is there such a thing as a "correct" pitch? Is your changed pitch experience less accurate or more accurate than it was before?

Best,
Al
Albert S. Bregman, Emeritus Professor
Psychology Department, McGill University
Phone: (514) three-nine-eight-6103,
http://webpages.mcgill.ca/staff/Group2/abregm1/web/