Re: Auditory perceptual blocks, and criterion shifts

Dear Eldad:

Just a comment on your example of major and minor triads. Here "major" and "minor" seem to denote both the tonality and the size of the interval. If E-G is preceded by C-E, it is quite natural to perceive E-G as being in a major tonality, namely C major. To ask students to call E-G "minor" in that context may be confusing. Perhaps they should be asked to identify triads as spanning three or four semitones. If they still tend to mislabel E-G as spanning four semitones, then they may be subject to a genuine perceptual illusion created by context.

Incidentally, I remember an old study by Shepard and Jordan in which they showed that the scale steps of a major scale tend to be perceived as being equal in size, even though some span one semitone whereas others span two semitones. Perhaps a similar illusion exists within triads, making the constituent intervals (perhaps even including the fourth between the dominant and the tonic) seem to be of similar size?

Best,
Bruno

Bruno H. Repp
(retired from Haskins Laboratories)