Travel grants: Rhythm Workshop, Abu Dhabi, March 18-21, 2013

(Apologies for any cross-posting; Please distribute to your students and colleagues)

Dear all,

Under the sponsorship of New York University’s Abu Dhabi Institute, we are organizing an invitation-only workshop in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, on the cross-disciplinary and multicultural aspects of musical rhythm, especially those found in the traditions of the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.

The four-day workshop will be held in a hotel in Abu Dhabi from Monday March 18 to Thursday March 21, 2013, and will bring together some 25 leading world scholars invited to lecture and discuss their research, as well as investigate musical rhythm in non-western music, from a variety of different academic standpoints. The list of confirmed participants include David Huron, Justin London, Stephen McAdams, Xavier Serra, Kofi Agawu, Edward Large and many others from the fields of music theory, musicology, music information retrieval, music perception and neuroscience.

As part of this initiative we would like to invite applications for 10 travel grants to attend this workshop. The grants include travel expenses and accommodation, as well as full access to all workshop activities and meals. These grants are open to everyone, but preference will be given to graduate students and post-doctoral researchers committed to multidisciplinary and multicultural research in music. In exchange, we will ask the grant recipients to help us document all discussions and workshop activities, report back to plenary sessions with their notes and comments, and to actively contribute their viewpoints to the workshop.

If you are interested, please send your resume and a cover letter explaining how do you see yourself contributing/benefiting from the workshop to Juan Pablo Bello (jpbello@xxxxxxx). We will start reviewing applications after November 1, and continue until all grants have been allocated.

best wishes,

Juan P. Bello, Carlos Guedes, Robert Rowe and Godfried Toussaint
Workshop Organizers