Re: Sound file formats for journal

Etienne,

Yes, I agree with you. In particular, not keen on mp3hd which is not common and support may easily dry up. I suggest the following summary:

SUBMISSION/ARCHIVAL:
(1) If an author is about to generate some sound samples and wants to know what format the journal wants, the journal should recommend WAV, and ideally 24-bit 96 kHz BWAV. (2) If an author wants to submit audio such as stimuli that were used in an experiment, then they should not be asked to transcode them at all, but to submit the files that were used.

PRESENTATION:
Any good web developer knows how to embed a widget to play audio back in the browser (currently, a widget that automatically uses flash or html5 as appropriate). The journal's technical infrastructure should be able to provide MP3 and Ogg for this purpose from the archival format. This choice of format may change in future.

Best
Dan