Re: Auditory Hypersensitivity questionnaire

Dear Yatin,

We've just submitted a paper on the use of the APHAB questionnaire [Cox RM, Alexander GC. (1995).  The abbreviated profile of hearing aid benefit. Ear Hear. 1995 Apr;16(2):176-86] on children ( > 12 years) with autism.  It was slightly modified in content, to make it more suitable for our purposes, though the number of questions and domains was kept unchanged.  It was administered to both the children and parents - the latter to report on their impressions of their child's difficulties - with very good concordance between parent and child ratings.

In the absence of any more specific instruments, I'd recommend that you have a look at it.  It's relatively quick to administer and one of its 4 domains deals with 'aversiveness', which would include hypersensitivity to sounds; the other 3 domains are also informative - 'ease of communication', 'background noise', and 'reverberation'.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, José

Dr José Ignacio Alcántara de Garcia

Department of Psychology
University of Cambridge
Downing Street
Cambridge, UK
CB2 3EB
Phone:  +44 (0)1223 764412
Fax:  +44 (0)1223 333564

Fitzwilliam College
Storey's Way
Cambridge, UK
CB3 0DG
Phone:  +44 (0)1223 332026

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail