Re: Answers, comments welcome.

Dear Randy, dear list,

   I really don't want to get into deep discussions about theories, but I feel
that it is important (at least for list subscribers who have not spent some
time inside the inner ear) to clarify what "the consensus of the field" is, at
least from time to time.

The traveling wave "theory" is based on many OBSERVATIONS and MEASUREMENTS and
provides a viable framework to explain lots of them. Yes, you can actually see
a "traveling wave" in a cochlea, and you can measure responses in the inner
ear with high precision with more advanced techniques (see BÃkÃsy, Khanna,
Rhode, Patuzzi, Ruggero, Cooper, to name only a few).

Where Willems states that "Without any doubt this is indicating that at least
squaring of the input stimulus plays a dominating role" this was not observed
in these measurements.

If you got the impression from Willems response that "slow" traveling waves
with wavelengths much smaller than a meter violate all laws of physics, you
can calm down. Just do an experiment with yelly to convince yourself from the
opposite (and yes, the material properties of the inner ear structures are
closer to yelly than steel, where wavelengths are actually in the dimensions
Willems stated). And again, there is data, and you can actually see such
microscopic waves, watch the Video from Freeman's lab:
http://www.pnas.org/content/suppl/2007/10/08/0703665104.DC1

My specific answer to Randy:
There is good news: to solve your question, you don't have to speculate, you
can use data and experiments. Especially, I recommend you to install one of
the models, which generate nerve-action potentials (e.g. from the Carney or
Meddis groups). They are based on measurements (of course they will never be
perfect, but for your question, they will do the trick). You can use them to
simulate your idea with sufficient precision. If you have done that, you might
conclude that your question can not be resolved by the cochlea alone, it
highly depends on the processing of the grey material coming afterwards.

Best regards an nice holidays (at least for me)

Werner
--
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Werner Hemmert
Bio-Inspired Information Processing