From: Tom Barker [mailto:thomas.barker@xxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 6, 2012 05:09 AM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: exploitation of "Auditory List" as a free "Article Request" list

Brian's position is understandable. Creating too much noise from constant article requests reduces the ability for useful discussion on the list.

From a selfish point of view, it is simply more efficient to request an unavailable (on my university's library subscription) article here, and receive responses within a few minutes, than to travel to the other university or public library in my city and work out how the request system works there.

There is also the (serious) issue of intellectual property rights. I personally feel uncomfortable with a request for a PDF of an entire book here. Clearly, in most jurisdictions, photocopying an entire book is not legal. This list is a useful resource, and it is unfair on the list owners (located in the US) to subject them to any liability for the lists misuse in this regard.

I am not sure about the general case of copying of a single journal or conference paper, but in the UK I believe it was acceptable to copy a single book chapter, conference paper or journal article within the University. Electronic transmission might be treated differently, but I would advise against anyone fulfilling requests directly to the list, instead posting directly to the address of anyone requesting the article.

Requests for articles may raise general awareness of interesting publications, and this is definitely one benefit from posting requests here.

Tom